Friday 22 April 2016

The end has arrived....

Final CAS Reflection

            Two years in the International Baccalaureate  program allowed me to not only study a wide range of subjects, but also pushed me to be creative, active and serve the community in whatever way that I could do. As an aspiring designer being creative was second nature to me. I channeled my potential and skills in art and design to help me fulfill my action requirements as well as organize activities in my service group.


Creativity : Almost Everything

          Through my visits to the cancer hospital, I conducted activities that related to art every session. Some of these activities were puppet-making, bracelets, drawing, snowflakes, dream catchers, etc. Through this, I was not only being more creative but I was also learning new ways of interacting and developing relationships with children at a much younger age, and that too with a communication gap, as I was unable to speak in Sinhalese or Tamil. This gave me the opportunity to interact with them through art. By using art as a means of communication I was able to not only help children learn new art making processes but it also allowed me to see art as a tool that I can use in the world around me.

In addition, as I am an aspiring designer, I was able to design T-shirts for the SAISA badminton team using new mediums such as Adobe Photoshop. This creative activities has helped me increase my awareness of my areas of strength and where I need to improveacquire new skills in new mediums such as Adobe Photoshop and during SAISA art with led lights, plan and initiate new ideas, work collaboratively with other members of hope for kids, and lastly with my keen interest in the fashion field, I was committed to my duties and passion towards art and design.




Service : Hope for Kids and OSC Recycling

            Before joining Hope For Kids for the majority of my time in the IB diploma, I was initially a part of OSC’s Recycling and Sustainability group. My experience in this group helped me to understand the importance and severity of global issues such as waste disposal and the essence of recycling.

As the leader of Hope for Kids, my overall experience helped me develop my leadership skills and understand how to deal with a sensitive topic such as cancer. My experience at the hospital has always been more unique and special with every visit.  Each time I visited the hospital, I learnt something new about the children I spent time with. I have always tried my best to be aware of my surroundings and to consider ethical implications of the decisions I take as the leader.  
As an aspiring designer and avid artist, I always found my strength in conducting art based activities such as making sock puppets, dream catchers and bracelets with the children. By conducting new activities each session, I acquired and developed new skills of teaching and communicating with the patients. 






Action : Badminton and Yoga

              My main sport for the past two years was engaging in Badminton. I believe that I have shown signs of improvement in my gameplay. I am more aware of  new scoring techniques and how moving around the court in certain ways can help me to develop and polish my skills.  Working collaboratively with a partner,  also my coach Rishika who is a more advanced player than me gave me the opportunity to compete and further push my limits and improve my stamina. The competition amongst my peers pushed me to undertake new challenges.   My improvement in the sport over the year kept me committed to the activity and allowed me to show perseverance and dedication to do better. 

As the Season for SAISA Badminton finished in Mumbai in February, I decided to then take up Yoga for the rest of the remaining time.  My decision to take yoga was heavily influenced by my breathing problems with Asthma, as well as an activity to help relieve the tensions of exam stress. Although this only continued for 3 weeks, it has helped me to focus on my revision processes, and helped me develop new skills.


CAS  which is an integral part of the IB Diploma has prepared me to become a successful leader, creator and active student. These experiences will help me succeed and achieve in the Fashion Institute of Technology, Class of 2020 as a Fashion Design student. I hope to continue engaging in similar activities in the future and cherish all the memories I made on this journey of the IB Diploma. 






No comments:

Post a Comment